Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Scrabble Letters

Crafty Creations for April 11th, 2013
-Okay April 13th was "Scrabble Day".  Unfortunately I wasn't able to post this when I had scheduled to, otherwise this would have made some of the listed "Month Events" fun.  But just having this in my home makes me smile so I still HAVE to share it!

o
I was inspired by this from a Pin I saw on Pinterest, which came from this blog (where there's a tutorial of how they done theirs): http://www.remodelaholic.com/2011/03/scrabble-living-large-family-names-art-project/

I on the other hand had done mine a bit more cheap and different. FIRST- make out the scrabble pattern that will fit everyone's names you want added in this project!  I through in the word "Family" to give it more volume.  You can throw in a word if everyone's names do NOT fit together, such as: Family, Home, Love, or Live-Laugh-Love, or even the family pet(s) name; just some suggestions. Two, I went to my local JoAnn's store and got some thin, wood shapes (obviously all square ones and cost like .90 cents ea. but they were on sale so I got them for .60 odd cents).  I had some vinyl, adhesive letters already cut-out left over from a past project of my moms or mine and just stuck them on the squares.  Then I couldn't remember all the points the letters were, so I googled that and took a fine sharpie and carefully wrote the points on in a way that was similar to real scrabble pieces. *Note: sharpie bleeds, so I'd suggest maybe trying a gel pen, or if you do use a sharpie just be careful when you press to write, it doesn't bleed bad, but I don't want to lead my viewers on to something that are not happy with.  Last, instead of using nails, or adhesive foam hanging tape, I used white sticky-tack.  Yes, it can be a bit more difficult to find, even at Wal-Mart, there was none!  I believe I found it at JoAnn's as well, with the 3M adhesive hooks.  This way it makes for easy removal if need to be moved and whatnot, no paint peeling, etc.  I would say all the materials, if I had bought them all at once would have ran me about $20 (max., give or take).  So if you decide to make your own as well, and you live on a budget such as myself, I hope that will be helpful.  I absolutely adore this project, because I am a huge Scrabble Buff, which made it very much fun!  I hope you enjoy it too!

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to comment on this and keep forgetting! I LOVE these & I'm super impressed that you got all your names to fit. Looks great & I think I may have to try this!

    Happy Crafting,
    Kelsie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it! It fits my style and personality so much. If you do this and have any questions let me know. I'm a big scrabble buff so if you need help making words fit, I can definitely help in that department.

    ReplyDelete